Throughout the divorce process, couples often have many questions that are fairly common among those who are interested in pursuing a divorce in the future. Divorce lawyers in Camden County are providing the following information as a guide to assist with answering some of those questions. Still, anyone who is interested in obtaining a divorce is advised to seek legal guidance directly from a skilled divorce attorney.

What Do I Need to Do to Serve the Divorce Documents?

Generally, the individual seeking the divorce will need to "serve" the other party with the divorce documentation so he or she will have notice of the impending divorce. As part of the service process, you will need to ensure the other spouse receives a copy of both the complaint and summons. Depending on the situation, however, obtaining valid service could be a difficult task.

One way to obtain proper service is to get the other spouse to sign an acknowledgement stating he or she was served. If the spouse refuses to accept service, you will need to get a third party involved in the process. This individual could be a sheriff, an attorney, a professional process server or some other adult who does not have an interest in your case. If the spouse still avoids service despite your best efforts, you may be permitted to serve the individual via registered or certified mail.

Do I Need a Lawyer to File for Divorce?

While it is true that not all cases require the use of a lawyer for filing purposes, parties are strongly encouraged to work with attorneys to ensure they know their rights under the law, as well as all their legal options prior to filing for divorce. If you and your spouse are able to agree on all pertinent aspects of dissolution, from property division to alimony and/or child support, that will certainly make for a smoother transition to single life. Still, even if you have reached an agreement, you should ask a lawyer to review the agreement prior to signing to ensure your rights are protected.

On the other hand, if you and your spouse cannot reach an agreement on pertinent issues, or you have more complicated financial issues or questions to deal with, you will likely need the assistance of an attorney to obtain your divorce. Unfortunately, a spouse might decide to fight you on every issue and reject all possible proposals. When that happens, you will need a lawyer to guide you along the way and represent you in court, should that become necessary.

If you would like to learn more about divorce or you have questions about your specific case, call Obermayer Rebmann Maxwell & Hippel LLP at (856) 795-3300 or use our online contact form